Thursday, January 17, 2013

NRA – NUTS RUNNING AMOCK (with guns)


Not all NRA members are nuts! Just the ones that want to expand gun ownership, eliminate background checks – increase the ownership of automatic weapons as well as large capacity clips and magazines. These are the nuts! They are dangerous. Many of these people may be law abiding citizens, but they are still nuts.
When Wayne Lapierre was touting arming teachers, the vision of Miss Campbell, my fifth grade teacher so many years ago, pulling a concealed weapon almost made me gag. Miss Campbell was a great teacher, that is why I remember her to this day. Miss Campbell was also well above the 250 pound mark. I can’t imagine where she would stow that glock to where she could get to it and use if she had to. I shiver thinking about it. Then there is the vision of my eighth grade History teacher, Miss Burke, about 5 foot nine and about 115 pounds. The same thoughts came to me. Frightening.
I know many teachers but I don’t know one that would carry a loaded weapon around children. That is the most ludicrous idea that the NRA ever came up with. More guns will solve the problem. – Sure it will! Like having more disease will cure disease.  I am befuddled by their latest attack ad. The narrator must have taken lots of Pepto because the idea was nauseating. Because the president’s children have secret service with armed guards our kids should have the same.  Gee, the president has armed guards at his house; I suppose that says that armed guards at our houses will be in order.
Yes, the NRA ranks swelled after the massacre in Connecticut. Yet, the majority of Americans do not agree with their thinking. In my seven decades on this earth I have heard that the government is preparing to come for our guns. Just let the government come for mine – oh, I don’t have a gun. That argument is lost on me.
Well, what if they do come? David Koresh didn’t do so well defending his ground. He had plenty of guns. I guess the government has more guns and even better guns than those that profess to defend their homes when the government comes for the guns. But who is the government? It is actually us. We The People! So, defend yourself from yourself!
The second amendment can be interpreted in so many ways. Yet, we must remember that when that was written our founders never heard of a clip or magazine. They could never envision a weapon that could kill several people in matter of seconds. They had muskets! Flintlocks! The founders never heard of automatics or semi-automatics – they had muskets! They never even heard of bullets – they had balls, something our current Congress also never heard of.
My point is, how many kids, adults, good people have to eat a bullet because some nut had access to a gun? Drives by shootings have killed so many innocent people who just happen to be in the way when a hail of bullets came raining down on them. One comedian I had heard had a great idea. Give all the people guns – the NRA would love that.  But charge $5000 a bullet. Now that makes sense to me.
Actually the need for defensive weapons that are designed to kill is also crazy. These are not sporting goods. They are killing machines. Hunting rifles for sport or even hand guns for defense are OK if you get them registered and learn how to use them and maintain them.
There is a balance and the NRA wants it all tipped in their favor. I cannot fathom their thinking. I cannot really imagine in any sense how they think guns will solve killing. The whole notion of more guns is absurd. And the absurdity is there are good people who are wrong thinking on this matter. Imagine how fast that will change when someone puts a bullet in one of their kids or family members. It keeps on happening and we are doing nothing about it. Why, because of the NRA? Why, because we really believe that the government is coming for our guns? Why, because we really believe that a criminal will be in our homes robbing us? Just think of the reasons you have to own a gun and you will come to realize the absurdity of those thoughts.
I am tired of needless murders. I am tired of innocents being slaughtered because someone had the tools to do it and thought it would be fun or they are making statement. I am sick of how easy it is to obtain these weapons, and who can get them and where they can get them.  I can’t imagine the horror that Sandy Hook parents went through – even the parents of the kids that survived had to experience the horror of not knowing . The answer is not let’s all get a gun; the answer is let’s all get some smarts.
That is my take – you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment